Our roundup of cocktail articles, local and international booze news, bar news and recommended reads.
Australian Distilled Spirits Awards 2018
- Entries are now open for the 2018 Australian Distilled Spirits Awards which will award up to 11 Champion Trophies including Whisky, Gin, Vodka, Brand, Rum, Liqueur, Alternative Spirit and Aromatic Bitters. Online entries are open from now until Friday 23 February at rasv.com.au and the awards will take place in Melbourne on Thursday 22 March. See last year’s winners here.
The Dead Rabbit Irish Whiskey
- The Dead Rabbit in NYC has produced its own whiskey and will launch it at the bar’s fifth anniversary party in New York on February 12. Roll out in other markets will start in April but there’s no word yet if it will become available in Australia. (via Vinepair)
Plastic Straws Ban
- In the fight for sustainability and raising awareness to a serious environmental issue, California could soon have a ‘straws-upon-request’ policy in dine-in restaurants if a proposed a bill is passed. (via The Spirits Business)
Lolistraw Edible Flavoured Straws
- Fancy sipping your drink through yuzu charcoal or palo santo? The world’s first edible, hypercompostable, marine degradable straw is here, well almost… (via BoingBoing)
- First came Frosé now Rosé Vodka is here in time for Valentine’s Day. A blend of Hangar 1 Vodka and California rosé wine, Hangar 1 Rosé Vodka is reported to taste like a higher roof Rosé or vodka watered down with Rosé and with a subtle bubblegum flavour. Anyone remember Absolut Tune? (via Bon Appetit)
‘It tastes like toilet cleaner. Millennials will love it.’
- The team from Imbibe taste Vita, a flavoured vodka that’s designed to be mixed with water. Well worth a read (via Imbibe)
Photo by Cocktails & Bars – © Copyright: All rights reserved.